Board Development and Operations
From crafting your league's bylaws to the role of each member and understanding legal obligations and requirements, the documents below will help you develop a healthy board where each member plays an important part, and the league is meeting the obligations of the community you serves.
The EFCL offers a number of workshops throughout the year on various board development topics. Watch our Seminars & Workshops page for workshop schedules. If you have additional questions, call 780-437-2913.
Useful Resources from Other Organizations
- Alberta Board Development Program Resources: The Alberta Board Development program specializes in helping non-profit organizations govern themselves well. The Information Bulletins are especially helpful (and short!) resources.
- Edmonton Chamber of Voluntary Organizations (ECVO) Resources and Workshops: ECVO provides resources and programming for non-profits and volunteers.
- Muttart Foundation Board Development Workbooks: A set of comprehensive guides on common topics facing non-profit boards such as recruiting board members and revising bylaws.
- Resources for Alberta Agricultural Societies: Alberta Agricultural Societies work to support agriculture and improve the quality of life in agricultural communities in Alberta. Their boards are quite similar to community league boards, and the Government of Alberta has published some resources for them to use. They're found in the bottom right corner of the page linked to.
- Volunteer Alberta: Resources around volunteers and volunteer management
- Volunteer Edmonton: Volunteer Edmonton offers all kinds of training and online resources that community leagues will find useful. They also connect to Go Volunteer, a great online service to advertise for needed volunteers.
Dealing with Conflict
- EFCL has an MOU with the Mediation & Resorative Justice Centre (MRJC). MRJC offers community mediation services, resources, and trains volunteer mediators.
- The Alberta Bullying Research & Recovery Centre offers information, resources, and presentations to community members and organizations about addressing bullying.